Monday, November 21, 2011

A Pie for Thanksgiving


I love a pumpkin pie, I love a pecan pie... but around our house, the favorite pie at Thanksgiving is the vinegar pie!! It is a family tradition that came from our Aunt Sis who was Mr. Winget's sister. Give this recipe a try - you will not regret it!

Vinegar Pie
1 unbaked 9 inch pie shell (see Never-Fail Pie Crust recipe below)
1 stick margarine
1 1/2 c sugar
2 T flour
2 T vinegar
3 eggs
1 T vanilla extract

Combine margarine, sugar, flour, vinegar, eggs and vanilla. Blend well. Pour into the 9 inch pie shell. Bake at 300 degrees for 45 minutes.

Never-Fail Pie Crust
2 t salt
3 c flour
1 1/4 c vegetable shortening
1 T sugar
1 T vinegar
1 egg
1/2 c water

Mix flour, shortening, sugar and salt with a pastry blender. Beat egg, add water and vinegar and mix well.
Combine the two mixtures a little at a time until all dry ingredients are moist. Mold together with your hands and chill before rolling out.
This recipe makes one 9 inch pie shell.

Happy Thanksgiving!!


2 comments:

Joy said...

Susan, I am SO glad that you posted this recipe ! My X husbands grandmother, Mammie served this pie often and who would ever have known it had vinegar in it ? I failed to get the recipe before she passed away and I am thrilled that you posted it. I think I might just bake one for T-Day! I hope you and your family have a blessed Thanksgiving!
Thanks again for the post!
xoxo Joy

Susan Winget said...

Oh, Joy - I am so glad you have it now too! I hope yours turns out as wonderful as Mammie's pie!